Sunday, December 31, 2017

My Favorite Broadway Songs of 2017

Happy New Year, as we approach 2018 plenty of surprises await us, including shows and songs, so before we ring in the new year I'm going to count down my top 10 favorite Broadway songs that released this year that I had on repeat, the only rule is two songs per show, so two shows don't dominate the list, and revivals count as long as they were this year. Now lets see the songs I could not stop singing along to.

10. Hero is My Middle Name- Spongebob Squarepants The Musical:
       Despite my mixed opinions on this show, this is a really fun song, a nice beat and is great, fun             song if you only have three singers

9. Everything Changes - Waitress : I will admit this was a show i glanced over, there is a tricky balance to shows from the past worth digging up and the current season, I plan on looking more into it for a future review, but from the songs I heard this is my favorite, a slower song but very beautiful with a true message behind it, a very good song that uses the full cast well.

8. Once Upon A December- Anastasia :  As someone who grew up loving the movie, the Broadway version excited me, and this version of once upon a December knocks it out of the park, simply amazing

7.  Put on Your Sunday Clothes- Revival of Hello Dolly: What an uplifting fun song, if you are feeling down this song is a must listen, a fun score with catchy lyrics in that classic style from days past will leave you smiling.

6. Finale- Come From Away:  This was a a hard pick for me, Come from Away is probably one of if not my favorite show from this season, It's themes on hospitality, love and healing in the face of great tragedy left me listening to this show many times among my favorites, this song sums up the true story in such a beautiful way you will want to start it over again, a finale so beautiful it left me tears of joy. 

5. Before the Parade Passes By- Revival of Hello Dolly: A Showstopping Number to close us out before intermission, Bette Middler encourages the audience to leave the past behind and move on before the parade of life passes them by, showing you are never to old to enjoy life and try love or anything new, this song is a gem that should not be looked over

4. Dust And Ashes - Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812: What a powerful song from a show gone way to soon, Josh Groban delivers a powerful performance, questioning his place, what he has done with his life, and if he has time to change it, a truly beautiful song

3. You Will Be Found- Dear Evan Hansen: This song was powerful, a powerful message to one of the best shows this season, this song will encourage you and have you singing along, it's amazing that being said...

2. Waving Through a Window- Dear Evan Hansen: This is my favorite song from Dear Evan Hansen a great show but it is so rare to have a show stopping number as the second number in the show, it is a real down to earth song, with an amazing score and fantastic lyrics, this song is nothing short of incredible, give it a listen if you have not yet.

1. Me and the Sky- Come From Away : This song changed me, telling the whole life story of Beverly Bass the first American Female Flight Captain in history is inspiring, packed with so many emotions, hope, joy, and even some sadness as the song ends and reality sets in, This song will encourage any who listen to it as the true story of the obstacles one woman faced and the hurdles she jumped over will  inspire you to chase your dreams as well.

Honorable Mention ; Audition song ( heres to the fools who dream)- LALA LAND-
Even though this was not a Broadway Show this musical movie was great, one of my favorites of the year, and this song will inspire you and fill you with hope, Emma Stone puts her all into this performance and it shows, an amazing song from a great movie

Happy new year, here's to more coming in 2017 in theater and for this blog, I hope your 2018 is a real show stopper, thanks for reading
   

No comments:

Post a Comment