Sunday, September 26, 2021

The 74th Annual Tony Awards And The Broadway Is Back Concert 9.26.21

 Before I make this post and dive into this mostly fun event, I will not mention or bring mention to the show Jagged Little Pill until changes are made. I stand by those effected and I am hoping for a day where they can perform safety and without threat of harassment. There are more sources with better information on this story.

It has been a long time coming but the Tony Awards have finally arrived, this time split into two shows with two amazing hosts, Audra McDonald and Leslie Odom Jr. each housing fantastic performances. Each show was handled with care and mandates were upheld for the safety of the patrons and those performing. And with the limited amount of shows to pick from, this was a very different year for the Tony's. There were returning casts from shows past performing old favorites, so tonight not only awarded the current season of plays and musicals, but also celebrated with some of the best. Tonight harled Broadway's triumphant return with plenty of old favorites such as " You Can't Stop The Beat" from Hairspray, " What I Did For Love" from A Chorus Line, " For Good" from Wicked and so much more. 

Both of the hosts did amazing, bringing great performances as well as a ton of fun to tonight. Which was very much needed. This night celebrated theater as a whole and Audra McDonald and Leslie Odom Jr. did simply amazing, either or both of them can be counted on the host future tony awards. There was not a joke that dragged on or a moment that led to an awkward pause, but rather both them kept the energy flowing, had plenty of fun moments, and hosted fantastically, both also performed amazingly, every time they performed.

Almost every performance (barring one I will not discuss) was amazing. Every past song performed by former castmates or past tony winners brought tears to my eyes, all but one of them bringing a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. And Tina and Moulin Rouge did amazing, the former being energetic and powerful, the later being energetic and just plain fun. The songs that brought back cast members brought tears to my eyes and reminded me why I love these songs and these shows, whether it was from a cast member or a person from the musical community. 

The speech's challenging the viewers and the industry itself with such honesty, grace, and passion. The performance and speech from the Broadway Advocacy Association had me cheering, and on the edge of my seat, it was purely powerful. There were many amazing speeches, calling for a better and brighter future for ALL and every one hit the nail on the head. Not just calling for change from the audience but rather the industry itself. There are many steps needed to go forward, and this is a place where those steps need to be taken, and already should have been. 

I enjoyed most of the night, besides one performance I loved all the others, I had an enjoyable night. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I rocked out to some of my favorite songs, I was moved by others, I was challenged by some of the speeches, I was moved. I missed theater and the joy that it brings only in the way it can. I will be giving an update soon on what content is to come on this blog, but this gave me hope and made me excited to one day, safety sit in a theater and enjoy my favorite art form. Broadway may not be back for all of us yet, but it is back in a capacity and slowly coming back, and I am more then ready for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment