Saturday, October 9, 2021

Tina: The Tina Turner Musical (Cast Album)

 I may not be able to see this show just yet but the cast album is online so I decided to take a look at two of the shows that were contenders at the Tony Awards this year, one being Moulin Rouge and the other is today's topic. So I sat down and decided to share some initial thoughts on Tina : The Tina Turner Musical. Jukebox musicals based on artists have been springing up more lately, from Cher to Carole King with more announced for the coming future, I have even seen a couple such as " Mama Mia" or "On Your Feet" so let's give this one a look. 

Since I do not have the ability to see the show live I will only be covering the album. If I have the ability to see the show or a recording of the show in the future I will then be able to judge how the music fits into the story and how it may or may not work. At this time I can only judge it based on being an album and the music it contains.

This album is great, a great selection of Tina Turner's work ranging from across her career. The album has a great range of upbeat and slow songs, encapsulating her range. And it has been well performed as well, every singer keeps the energy at the right level while performing these songs. I found myself dancing, swaying, and enjoying song after song. There were some that I liked more then others but overall this album is a great collection, "River Deep Mountain High" being one of my favorite for how well performed it is, and also the energy the song conveys. 

There are pieces of dialogue peppered throughout the album to help show the mood of each scene, showing aspects of the story. These are not common enough to pick up where intermission happens or the pacing of the narrative but they are present in the album to show those what mood is being conveyed or a sneak peek at some of the story that would be shown live.  

The way this album is performed it makes me hope to see how each song fits into the narrative, because I found myself enjoying this album and picking a few favorites even. The cast that recorded this album did fantastic, making a great impression song after song. Each performance carrying the energy of each song that was needed and making this album a great listen, for those familiar with Tina Turner's work and those who are not. 

Here are some of the songs that I will find myself listening to again and again, and would recommend. 

Don't Turn Around

It's Gonna Work Out Fine

A Fool In Love

Let's Stay Together

River Deep Mountain High

Proud Mary

I Don't Wanna Fight

Disco Inferno

Open Arms

I Can't Stand The Rain

What's Love Got To Do With It

We Don't Need Another Hero

(Simply) The Best

This album is great for people who love jukebox musicals, but also someone who want a great showcase of an artist's work. This album has so many great picks that are wonderfully performed and stand tall, full of life and emotion. This album is a great listen and if I can whether on tour or in a community theater someday would love to see how these great songs fit into the narrative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment