Thursday, October 20, 2022

Someone Gets Hurt Reprise (Mean Girls)

 This musical in particular is very hit and miss for me. I enjoy about half of the songs offered and will listen to them on rare occasion, but this is far from my favorite musical based on a non-musical film. (I don't think anything can top Legally Blonde; I still have other ones I enjoy but that is neither here nor there). There was a song I heard on shuffle the other day that I feel worth talking about from this show. A reprise that stands along and to some may even outshine the song that it comes from.

This song is forty-seven seconds long, but this song proves that you do not need an overly long ballad to prove a point. The song is a confrontation at an emotional peak that even though it is ended with a classic punchline from the film it is adapting leaves the listener feeling an emotional impact. The lyrics are a flurry of hurt and anger that many, myself included can resonate with, collimating in a revamp of the original song's chorus in a powerful way. 

The song not only propels the plot towards its emotional climax but has the characters going into a point that we don't know where they will end up. Damage has been done and there is no going back, this song does lead to another song that I like for the character with a moral tied to it later on which is great. The song being "I'd Rather Be Me" which I will have to cover at some point in the future. 

But today I wanted to shine a light on this powerful little reprise and show how a song's length does not dictate the impact it can leave. This moment of vulnerability, hurt, and anger wrapped up into this short song is nothing short of well written. There is not a lot to say here as the song is less then a minute but this one is worth a listen. The song is way more impactful then ever expected

No comments:

Post a Comment