Sunday, February 25, 2024

Shucked (Cast Album)

 With the recent announcement of this show getting a film adaptation I decided to take a look through the cast album, this show centered on Corn will be getting a tour shortly and I hope to see it, but for now, all I have is the album. Looking into the plot, this show is about love, a farm, planning schemers, and corn, lots of corn. There are many uses for corn and many ways corn is used as an analogy for other things in life, in this fun corn-cobbed comedy. Country is not my favorite genre of music and never has been, but there is some country music-influenced musicals that I truly love and have seen live, such as Waitress for the prime example. So let's get some corn puns ready and embark on this musical journey through the cast album of the new musical Shucked. 

The music from going from just the cast album seems to tell the story of a small town, that may be a little small-minded, saving the corn, bringing in outsiders, and proving yourself to be more than what the world thinks you as, and love, sometimes love that is intentionally and some that is comedically accidental. It reminds me of The Music Man a little but I am going off of just the cast album, so for all I know in the context of the story these songs could have totally different meanings. Until proven otherwise this is what I think of the album so far. 

The music is very much inspired by country, it uses country style and instrumentation for several songs but isn't afraid to have songs that don't sound out of place in a musical. It mixes country with the grandness of the stage with the simple pleasures of country and it works. It ends up creating these down-to-earth but not forced character moments in the songs, making strong solos and fun group numbers. Some of the songs are strong ballads about breaking out of what others viewed you as, or being okay being alone but still being strong. The variety of songs is great, my favorite being "Independently Owned", with close runners-up being "Traveling Song", "Woman Of The World", "Corn Reprise", "OK", and  "Friends". A couple of the songs I would listen to again and I don't mind, on the other hand not so much, but plenty of gems as listed here. 

The country music inspiration does not take away from the show because it makes sense in terms of the environment, story, and narrative. It fits naturally akin to that of the musical Waitress where it is the style the show chose and it sticks with it. The slower songs that sound more Broadway-like are not distractions but rather so the audience doesn't feel oversaturated with the country style, but even then it sounds like still a little like country so it doesn't break the flow, just not as much as some of the other songs. This show knows it's identity and sticks with it all the way through, and by doing that, stays consistent. 

The songs are not afraid to use humor as well, whether it is a quick number full of gossip not appropriate for all ages, or one full of the many uses of corn. Whether it be a punch line or a quick pun about corn, the light-heartedness helps make the slower ballads stand out, even a whole song about being a bible believing Christian but loving alcohol and to party. The show has love ballads and I want songs but there are many great numbers about just life itself. Many songs fit the Broadway show roadmap whether it is a love ballad or a side character comedy song, but even though it follows the outline we all know, the songs are well written. Not every song is going into my playlist but a good number are. There were definitely more numbers I loved and hummed along with, pressing repeat on than not. There were only a few songs that I did not want to visit again or might skip on another trip through this show about corn, love, and more corn.  

Just as an album alone, judging these as just songs, I enjoyed myself. Removing the story since I have not seen it play out, just as an album this was very fun. There was a good use of comedy and even a really fun reprise of the songs towards the end and makes for a really funny listen. Towards the end of the album, for example, there is the song called "Corn Mix," it feels more like a fun comedy medley than a song, but I had fun with it. And that sums things up the best, I had fun with a ton of songs and found some I will listen to again and again. 

I think this could work as a movie, as long as it doesn't try to be something it is not. The music is pretty good and if they can make it grand without going over the top it could work. Kind of like how Mean Girls almost kind of sort of worked but was on a modest budget and thus was a hit. They could film it in a way to makes the music stand out, but they need to keep it simple because that is where the charm of this show comes from. The stage set of this show is a giant barn with barely a set to call home, only some modest pieces. Letting the music, story, jokes, and fun characters push things along. I hope the film does the same, keeping things down to earth so the writing and music can shine. I found quite a few numbers I enjoyed, so I would definitely see this live and watch the movie, I will probably do both as soon as possible. An album that reflects how this show is packed to the brim with corny jokes and a fun easy-to-follow narrative but is overall fun, and sometimes in life we need fun, and Shucked is just great plain fun. The show also hides deeper messages in the lyrics that are good to relate to, some empowering songs as well. This show is fun and I will definitely be giving it a listen until I can see it, If you want some good music that is full of charm, and heart, and is just a good time, give this a listen. It is worth a listen, for a fun time with some good music, and some that may just inspire you as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment