Friday, July 9, 2021

Waitress A Show That Is Easy To Love As Pie

 


(Image Source: The News Hearld.Com)

A show based off a movie that I have never, seen but saw the musical adaptation when it was touring. The curtains rose, the lights dimmed, and the cast took to the stage. So how was this new world that I had no idea about, how would this plot unfold? As the story progressed, and the songs were sung, I not only had my questions answered but I ended up loving this show. With the news dropping of this wonderful show returning to the stage and getting a live taped version, I decided to tell why I love this show so much.

This show follows Jenna and her friends as she tries to escape her life, she is miserable and caught in a rut. And when things were not stressful enough as they could be, she discovers she's pregnant! The show has many comedic moments while covering very heavy subject material, and this is reflecting in the music as well. Some of the songs are light and fun, while others are slow and full of heart and passion. There are very few songs in this soundtrack I will not listen to, I will only skip one or two songs, minus the ones that are primarily instrumental. So many of these songs have so much heart put into them and bring the characters as well as their stories to life, while also being incredibly memorable. One of my favorite songs being "Bad Idea" which is incredibly catchy while advancing the story and feelings of those singing it.

The songs that use the background cast or a couple cast members work well, while the duet and solo songs stand tall as well. From beautiful quiet pieces such as " A Soft Place To Land" to super fun songs that left me singing along like " Never Getting Rid Of Me" and especially "When He Sees Me". Each song shows what kind of person the character is and reflects the choices they made and why. The songs progress the narrative so well while standing out and having such a great range. Not every song is my favorite, and there is a part of the show that feels unresolved or not really wrapped up or dived into, but there is so much good in this show, that my gripes are minimal to nonexistent. The music sweeping me into this world and keeping me invested in this cast, some songs may not have spoken to me, but the majority that did speak volumes, not every joke landed but most did. 

When I saw this live I will also say having a live band on stage was a fun, and the sets were not the most extravagant but they set the scene just fine. The environments did lend to some fun dance numbers, while some places like the kitchen were used so effectively to give that warm and cozy feel. The kitchen is a place that Jenna likes to unwind and be herself, and the show reflects that, using the lighting to make the kitchen a place of warmth, welcoming, and a place for those in it to be vulnerable and express themselves. This show is also staged very well, and each set feels like it captures the mood it is meant to convey just as much as the songs. The instrumental pieces set the mood as well.

The writing blends comedy, serious topics, and a ton of heart together so well. This show had me laughing, crying, and cheering as the story went along. I was intrigued as well as excited to see how the music would fit into the plot. I love this show and I can not recommend it enough. The songs will stay with you and the stories are real and relatable, this show is as sweet as the pies being made in the kitchen. 

Rating : Chip On My Shoulder (Really Good, 8/10 Some songs are not the best, some story elments are undercooked, but most are excellent, great humor, heart, and drama, great songs, great variety of songs, good story, amazing show) 

No comments:

Post a Comment