Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Stephen Sondheim

 In the recent news of the passing of a legend in the world of the stage, I wanted to share my personal experiences with his work. Stephen Sondheim inspired me on countless occasions through so many shows, whether it was Into the Woods, Merrily We Roll Along, Sunday In The Park With George my favorite of his, and so much more. From A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum or West Side Story the lyrics in his shows were always relatable and were so well written at the same time. 

His work has inspired me on countless occasions, through so many songs. The lyrics speaking how I felt into music that I never grew tired of. Whether it was songs about making art, or being human. I could list countless lyrics that are so masterfully written that are poetry in motion.

The themes in many of his shows whether the setting was fictitious or grounded in a reality we know spoke so much truth about how we feel, how we dream, or how we relate to those around us. I just recently covered Company for this blog and how it conveyed the American dream and what it means to make it in life and that is just one example of how powerful Sondheim made his shows.

The compositions combined with so many songs such as "Ladies Who Lunch", "Sunday", "Children Will Listen" and so many more are not just classics, they have inspired the current generations and the future of musicals forever more. The characters complex and human, the songs unforgettable in a style all their own, wrapped into stories that took the audience to wonderful places.

Stepehen Sondheim will never be forgotten, and will always live on through his art, and the wonderful stories he gave us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment