Tuesday, February 15, 2022

I Saw My First Musical Live In 2 Years..

 The last show I saw before the lights went out was Hamilton in February of 2020 on Super Bowl Sunday, I had an opportunity or two to see a show, but life got in the way, and I would not be able to make those local performances, outdoor theater and concerts, or even a tour of Hairspray. But now the wait is over, I have seen a show since the lights went dark and that in fact was Hamilton, on Super Bowl Sunday in 2022. This is the best case of de'ja' vu I have ever had. So, this week we are taking a short pause from our retrospective and having processed the unreal feeling of seeing a live show again. I decided to recount my experience. 

The venue I went to require every patron to be fully masked, and have either a negative covid test, and for the sake of the future of the arts, I say yes. There are many reasons to get vaccinated, from helping protect others and yourself, and one reason to add to all the others is help save the public arts. I will do what I must, and I gladly wore a mask the entire time, it did not stop my enjoyment. It did not hinder me from watching the show, from hearing the wonderful performances, or buying souvenirs. 

I saw the Phillip Tour, which was the touring cast I saw before the lights went dark on the stage for almost two years. Every performer did wonderful and, the choreography was nothing short of amazing, all of it was amazing. The show was amazing from beginning to end, I am glad that it is available to watch as many times as possible and whenever a viewer wants on Disney Plus, but even with that this show is fantastic live. And since I have seen this show multiple times live, it must be stated that it was as amazing as it was the first time, I saw it. If it is not coming to your area the Disney Plus version is fantastic and has the original cast, this show is nothing short of amazing. Hamilton is worth all the hype it gets, with unforgettable music, a gripping story, and fantastic characters. 

 I was filled with such joy and happiness to be back in the room where it happened. There is nothing quite like seeing live theater. It felt like seeing an old friend who had been gone too long. I cried, tears of joy traveled down my cheeks as the lights went dim, and the music began. I was at home and have felt so happy. This filled me with such joy that I am on cloud nine, seeing this had me looking into all the local theaters, both those who were local and those who host musical tours. 

Theater is back, and even with bumps in the road, I hope it stays. Seeing a show live again filled me with such joy that only live theater could give. Settling in, having the lights go down, the music come on, and the cast bring me into a world not my own. Seeing Hamilton as my first show back was extra special, worth the drive, and worth everything. Do what is necessary to see live theater and support it, and to keep it going. It has been gone but seeing it return is nothing short of breathtaking, and to finally be a part of it again, made me smile ear to ear even after the final bow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment