Friday, March 24, 2023

(Netflix) Matilda The Musical: The Movie Based On The Musical Based On The Movie Based On The Book

 My first stop on this wonderful trip from the comfort of my bed and the streaming apps was a musical movie that premiered on Netflix. An adaptation of the stage show Matilda based on the film and classic children's book. I saw the movie when I was young but barely remember it, and I have never listened to any songs from the show unless in passing but never stopped to listen to it. I have heard good things from those who have seen it, but never seen it myself. I went into this musical movie optimistic, and knowing nothing. So what did I think.

This story of a young girl who is a genius, the world against her in many ways until she learns a new magical power. Her school, parents, and the odds ever against her and those like her, and some she would not expect. The story is simple yet engaging, like a fairy tale, of right and wrong in the world, bullies and those who do what is good. Every plot point fits and many moments are predictable but this is fun romp for families and there are many factors that make this romp work. There are moments of drama, comedy, and encouragement all wrapped with morals in a nice little bow but the time the credits roll. I do not know the differences between the original movie, the book, cast album, or even the stage version. Perhaps I will find out some day but I will judge this purely on its own. The morals are simple yet fun of standing up to bullies, to found family that can at times be very touching, a fun family story.

The story leads to fun music, and great character moments. The tale is so nice, it is a very good first musical for those with young ones who are interested. The songs are fun group numbers, or sometimes big sweeping ballads, there are no style changes, so the music is all the same genre. The songs are pretty good, there are some I will definitely listen to again after watching, there are some fun villain songs, a big group numbers that are as well, and some surprisingly well made ballads. All of the actors in the film version are amazing, both in and and out of song. The show has some really stand out ballads that left me loving some of the songs. 

The acting in this in phenomenal, as well as the performances. But this movie is also shot incredibly well. There were some powerful well shot moments of this film, that were compliments with the music hand in hand. This movie has the scope of a stage musical and the presentation of a film in the best way possible. the cinematography has great big group moments that look like they can fit on stage but also in a movie, it was the perfect balance. The music, score and the way this movie was shot made the presentation stand out and I enjoyed watching this film. The movie had some powerful emotional moments as well, that packed an even bigger punch when complimented with the music and acting. The dancing is also well done. 

There are a couple of shortcomings that I wanted to mention. The ending of the movie felt a tad rushed as did a couple of other moments, I wish we had a little more time with this world and maybe even another song or two, there are a fair amount of reprises here. The CGI in the movie, thought not always present is not the biggest strong suit of the movie, unlike the costumes, set, dancing, performances and just about everything else. Aside from a couple of pacing problems where, like a fairy tale, I felt things zooming by, and this, the film is still pretty great. 

This is a well made musical movie, and I hope Netflix takes the good word of mouth and makes another, and adapts more. This and Tick Tick Boom which I plan on talking about later one are both super well made and has me hoping more will come. Though not perfect, this is still pretty good and worth a watch, with fun songs, a good splash of comedy, and beautifully shot moments, this movie musical has little moments, little stories, that many, myself included can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment