Friday, March 17, 2023

SIX

 Now I have reviewed this amazing piece of stage work before, but only the cast album. I was fortunate enough to see this show live back in January so I wanted to give my thoughts on it. I was so happy to finally see this show because I love the album and have ever since I first listened to it. There is not a single song I would skip but I always wanted to see the visuals that accompanied this amazing music as is one of the joys that comes with as well as reasons on while I love seeing shows live. 

Seeing how the songs incorporated into the story ended up making me enjoy them even more. The story is told in one sitting with no intermission, similar to a show I loved that I saw last November which was Come From Away. The show only was an hour and twenty minutes about the length of a theatrical movie, and this show makes every minute count. The plot has the six wives of British monarch Henry The 8th, in a pop concert competition to see who had it the worst. From the ones who were heartbroken and lost their time and affection to those who lost a bit more. The show is infused with a great message, empowering music and some great writing. The show has a ton of history as well as humor infused into it's writing, not being afraid to get deeper at times either. This show is tightly written and executed to a tee that I am left wanting to see it again live as soon as I can. 

The music and choreography go hand in hand. This show is mostly high energy and the energy keeps going and going from the powerful opening to the final curtain. The show acknowledges history and the facts while showing it wasn't just HIS story. The songs are basically well done break up songs most of the time, but when someone goes deeper you see the powerful emotions woven in that make these songs amazing. Songs about being rejected, used, or being trapped in situations that are less to be desired, but still infused empowering, funny, and relatable lyrics into the songs. Bringing these queens to life in and out of song, making the audience laugh, think, and want to dance along. My favorite songs being "Get Down" and " I Don't Need Your Love" for how empowering they are and the messages about being fine whether in or out of love, or not letting the labels someone puts on you stop you from living. The music is in the same genre the whole time but is still ranged. Different styles and tempos help each song stand out in the best way possible, I can tell which song is which based on how they start, each one standing tall.

Though I may like some songs more then others that is more of a subjective opinion as when I saw this live each one of the performers knocked it out of the park. Watching the tour cast of this show perform with an all female band, making it an all female production helps make the themes of this show stand out so much more. I loved every second of this show from the high energy music to the jokes and writing in between that bring the characters to life, to the subject material. The music is empowering and keeps the tone strong and going from the lights going on till the curtains fall. The lyrics though about historical queens are packed with real and relatable emotions that the audience can see themselves in, and the setting is fantastic. The show stays consistent, in character and focused from beginning to end, taking off strong and nailing the landing.

This show is must see if you can, and a must listen if you can not. This is also another show in desperate need of pro shot, as do many shows need and deserve. The characters, music, story, and writing make this show a can not miss, especially for fans of pop music or can relate to having a terrible EX. The wives showed how much of queens they all truly were, in a truly unforgettable fashion. 

Divorced. Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived open this show, the old rhyme, but once the music begins, the audience learns so much more. Seeing this show come to life from the album I loved was a pure delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment