Sunday, May 5, 2024

Predicting The Wicked Movie

 At Cinema Con there was some footage shown of the Wicked movie, and it had me speculating, this movie has had audiences predicting and speculating long before it even had a trailer. There is so much riding on this adaptation of one of the biggest musicals in theater history. So I thought until the next trailer or teaser comes around, that I would use the information given and shown, throw my black hat into the ring, and see how much I get right. When the movie does come out, it will be fun to look back at this and see how much I got right and what I did not, as a sort of time capsule, so here are my guesses as to how the Wicked movie will turn out when it hits the big screen this November. 

So from what we know from the Super Bowl trailer I went through, and some articles that have come out before and since, this movie will be in two parts, the singing is live, we know the cast, and a release window but not a specific date. Some footage was shown at Cinema Con and it seemed to garner some buzz but much like everything there, not much has made it to the public eye and was just used to generate buzz, so mission accomplished.

going off of that information we know, here are my predictions for what the movie will turn out to be. The safest guess is that Act One is a movie, and Act Two is a movie, including every song from the show doing a rare adaptation of not cutting any songs. Depending on run time I would not be surprised if a new song or two is added to get that Best Original Song Oscar nomination. The visuals will be big and grand adding to the musical numbers. Each one will have visual flare and be big, stand-out moments for the show. I wonder if the movie will open with "No One Mourns The Wicked" or if like the director's previous work "In The Heights" the songs will be shuffled.

I do not think the show will appear in the order of the way events play out on stage, there is a possibility for some original performances, remixes, or new songs for promotions and the credits. I would not be surprised if there was a pop version of "Popular" and "Defying Gravity" during the credits when they roll around. 

I feel the order of songs will be shuffled around if "In The Heights" is anything to go off of. I also feel that songs will feel different, by that I mean different pacing, perhaps even different lyrics, and different instrumentation. To go off of "In The Heights" once more, the instrumentation in that was very quiet and subdued, trying to create real and relatable moments, and I wonder if songs like "I'm Not That Girl" will sound more like sad songs you hear on the radio then somber solo Broadway ballad. 

I could see the final chords of "Defying Gravity" leading to a "To Be Continued" if they want to be clever an "End Of Act One" before the credits. That moment leaving the audiences wondering how the rest of the tale will unfold, but with all the extra run time allotted to having two films, I wonder if more original songs are going to be added to spice things up, which I hope is not the case. This movie has been so long in the making, that I feel playing it safe is truly the best option, I am already questioning the part one and part two format. 

But those are my thoughts and predictions while we all wait for that footage, or a new trailer to come, my guess for certain for a new trailer will drop at San Diego Comicon and if it does, I will be here to discuss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment