Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Tony Award Nomniations And The Mufasa Trailer

 The time of year is here once more. Time to see what musicals will take home the gold and which ones will get fan reactions saying they deserved more. The awards are not here just yet, but the nominations are, roughly a month early, this also means for people like me who can not see these shows until they go on tour due to not living in New York that hopefully some cast albums will be released, giving me and many others a taste of these shows by giving us the songs that are featured in the shows. But we also got a new trailer for a musical movie, so I wanted to address that too.


The Tony Nomniations

I don't feel very equipped to make predictions as I have listened to very few of these shows let alone seen them, but I have listened to Back To The Future and as mentioned before, awaiting cast album releases for many of these. Hell's Kitchen leading the pack and I intend on listening to that musical as soon as possible, but there are some movie adaptations sprinkled throughout from Back To The Future, Water For Elephants, The Outsiders which was a book and movie, and even The Notebook. I am interested to see how Water For Elephants and The Outsiders turn out, the latter being a book and film I was familiar with due to the school, the former is new to me. 

Suffs is in the mix, bringing some more historical musical theater to the stage, but the nominees for best musical and best revival are quite small compared to some years. I am used to about three or four more nominees in the best musical category and maybe one or two for revival. All I hope for is a show where the awards are spread around and not a complete sweep one way, last year was a great example of that. And of course, I am looking forward to the performances, speeches, and more from one of my favorite awards shows. I am excited to hear Hell's Kitchen and Water For Elephants the most and eagerly await many of these songs to be shown to those outside New York. The news of the host, date, and time are sure to come but now we know the lineup for the night and some of the performances we are going to see, and I as usual am quite excited. 

The Mufasa Trailer

At first glance, I was not going to talk about this, but then I saw, the words at the end of the trailer that said "With Original Songs By Lin Manuel Miranda" and I was very surprised. I was wondering why he was doing music for this but not Moana 2 which is due just a month before this movie debuts.

In terms of the trailer it looked like nothing to write home about, just the young Mufasa running around in an original story no one asked for. The antics looked similar to The Lion King, just set in the past, and visually just looked bland like the movie that made so much money it caused this one to come to be. I am not a fan of the live-action Disney takes on classic films, I feel the originals when it comes to Renaissance films are good enough, I like when they remake a super old film to remove the parts that reflect a more ignorant time, but for the musicals from the 90's I always ask, just why? With the news of Moana getting one and it is barely ten years old, and all of these classics, it makes me sad to see the industry as well just disregard the credibility of movies just because they are animated. Animated movies can move someone just as much and just because it is animated should not be labeled as just for kids, if they are good enough to be put on the big screen, there is a quality behind them for everyone. 

Seeing Lin Manuel Miranda shift from making really good animated soundtracks to making songs such as "The Scuttlebutt" and doing only live-action, shifting from Encanto and Moana, not even doing the sequel to do live-action adaptions has me scratching my head. He has made some really good songs with Disney but these live-action outings and his not returning to follow-ups to what he has worked on before, have me just questioning.

In terms of musical movies, we have already had Mean Girls 2024 this year, and we still have :

. Moana 2

.Joker Folie A' Deux

.Mufasa

.Wicked Part One 

Moana 2 is the one I am most concerned about due to Wish falling flat but also that so little has been shown, there has been only a logo, and a static image, with a release date. No trailers, no songs, not even a teaser, and this movie is fast approaching, making me fear Ai could be involved as well, which I hope is not the case. Either way, this Mufasa trailer only left me not impressed and asking way more questions then I thought I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment