Thursday, June 15, 2017

The 71st Annual Tony Awards : The Performances

Now that the dust has settled and the awards have been handed out let's look back at each performance from the 71st Annual Tony Awards.

The Openeing :  Was hit and miss, for people who have followed all the shows this season it was hilarious, but for those who wanted to find new performances this would be hard to follow, funny for those who got it, and a strong ending.

Come From Far Away  " Welcome to the Rock ": Very catchy and a solid opening number, had a lot of heart and really set the tone of the show and had great atmosphere, an excellent tune to open with.

Miss Saigon " I'd Give My Life for You/ Exodus" : it was grand in scope but I was very confused . The scene chosen had heavy emotion but I did not know the context, though  I felt like I was seeing a crucial moment from the show and I didn't know the whole story, so I had to do some research. Otherwise it was fine

Falsettos " A Day in Falsetto Land": peppy and upbeat, but the song didn't stick with me like some of the others did, a serviceable opening number with a catchy melody but I forgot about it until now.

Dear Evan Hansen " Waving Through A Window " : this was nothing short of amazing, this was my favorite performance of the night, it captured a strong emotion the whole way through, nothing short of excellent, a new favorite on my playlist.

Groundhog Day " Seeing You": A cute love song, it was enjoyable but not a really standout performance

Hello Dolly " A Penny in my Pocket " : A ton of fun, David Hyde Peirce held his own with this catchy tune that was originally cut, but it had that enjoyable classic feel, a treat indeed and another song I added to my playlist shortly after the show .

Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr. And the Radio City Rockkettes "New York " : Super amazing and fun, the dancing  was incredible, I only wish there was a tad more singing, but overall this was great

War Paint " Face to Face " " A very powerful number, packed with emotion with amazing vocals, a very solid performance and both of the singers did a fantastic job

Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812 " Dust and Ashes/ The Abduction" : very energetic and memorable, with amazing vocals and instrumentation , especially from Josh Groban, but it also felt like it was all over the place, mashing the two songs together made me kind of wish they just picked one, and even though this must be a great view on stage, I felt so much was going on the camera man didn't know where to focus, a good performance with a few flaws.

Bandstand " Nobody " excellent music and choreography, very energetic and captured the feel of that era, set the mood and was a very catchy tune, this underrated gem was fantastic

The Closing number: nice, sweet and simple, had a classic feel and a grand finale to a great night

Now the countdown until next year begins

No comments:

Post a Comment