Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Musical Memories: Seeing Waitress

 This week was Pi Day and there is no musical that embodies pie better than "Waitress" so much so that I ate pie when seeing it. So today I wanted to talk about my memory of seeing this show in 2019. From memories to newer performances, I plan on covering more live performances, admits the albums, proshoots, and movies. I even have some fun surprises planned for later this year. But for now, it is time to take a trip down memory land to a show I never ever ever wanna get rid of, let alone forget.

I saw this show in the spring and saw it a month before the first time I ever saw "Hamilton" live. I went because some content creators i follow, and a couple friends recommended it to me, and I am so glad they did. I knew of a couple songs, but neither the plot nor the fact that it was based on a film. Also, much to my surprise was discovering that Sara Barellis penned the music and oversaw this show being brought to life, and that for a small fee I could buy a jar of pie to eat during the show. This was an amazing experience and I had not even taken my set yet.

I sat in the balcony for a matinee performance, and every performer knocked it right out of the park. The music was great, and I was engrossed from start to finish. The story, the heart, the characters, the comedy. The show was a perfect balance of lighthearted while still having serious moments, conveying real and relatable emotions, with three dimensional characters. So many of the songs had me wanting to dance along, some had me laughing, and some moved me. The lyrics went hand in hand with the music so well, and the instrumentation was amazing.

Sometimes even a small band would play on stage, adding a cool touch to the atmosphere. As the song "Bad Idea" closed out act one, it easily became the song I would listen to again and again after seeing the show, among many other songs, and many times the album. The songs had such range that it gripped me and never let go, I loved many of these characters, I felt like I knew them by the end with how well written they were and how relatable their stories and emotions could be. 

The set design was full of charm, and the choreography was great as well, the times that the show included it. The slow moments were powerful, and the upbeat songs full of life. The song "You Matter To Me" in the way it is integrated into the plot, and how powerful it is, always moves me. It is so quiet, so beautiful, and incredibly strong.

I knew nothing about this show going in, but coming out I loved it, and would see it again easily, and have wanted a proshoot for the longest time. The music, the story, it all wrapped together into a very sweet and great time. If given the chance I would see this show a time or two again, it is that good. I highly recommend listening to the album and if the opportunity ever arises to see it, see it

Loving this show, is as easy as pie. With great messages about love, life, change, and finding your inner strength, this amazing show is a perfect combination akin to sugar, butter, and flour. I still even have the pie jar from that day, and am so glad that I saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment