Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Judging A Show By Its Cast Album : Mean Girls the Musical







As the Tony Awards draw closer and closer, It is time to look at the nominees and this a musical I have anticipated greatly, the musical adaptation of " Mean Girls" but would I see this show, based on listening to the album, is this show fetch? Let's find out.

The show follows  the film Cady as she goes from living with her parents in Africa on safaris, as she transfers to an American high school she discovers all the cliques as well as the top clique helmed by Regina George, this group known as the plastics is not only the most popular group but also the most mean. Cady befriends social outcasts Damien and Janis and try to take down Regina after she hurts Cady over a boy Cady likes, making Cady come off as mean girl to get close to Regina, until she becomes one. There are differences from the film to make the show unique, while still carrying over plenty of hilarious moments from the film

The music is pretty good, I am not a fan of every song but the songs that I enjoy I really enjoy, there are many different styles depending on the character but I enjoyed many of the songs and have listened to many of the songs multiple times, some more then others. I will say that the script transitions into some of the lyrics very well, so major fans of the film will know some of the lyrics just by quoting the movie, and that is incredibly smart.  And the original lyrics are hilarious, catchy, or both. Here are my favorite songs, that I recommend looking into for your playlist.

It Roars

Where Do You Belong (L)

Stupid With Love

What's Wrong With Me

Stupid with Love Reprise (L)

Revenge Party (L)

Fearless

World Burn (L)

I'd Rather Be Me ( My Personal Favorite)

Do This Thing ( L)

I See Stars ( My Other Personal Favorite)

So would I see this show if the opportunity arose, yes i would. Even if I don't like every song, the songs I listed are incredible, and the ones I didn't list , you may like. I really enjoy the movie, and this transitioned over very well, the message of being  yourself and being decent to each other still stands strong, now told with amazing songs. There is also still plenty of hilarious moments, and I bet seeing it live would be even more funny with dialogue, facial expressions, on top of the lyrics that are comedic.  I would see this show, until next time I hope your day is a showstopper

Sources

Mean Girls The Musical Original Broadway Cast Album

Wikipedia : Mean Girls The Musical 

No comments:

Post a Comment