Thursday, May 24, 2018

Songs I Skipped: Franklin Shepard Inc.

Here is a new post idea I like to call songs I skipped, where I look at songs I may have glanced over  before.

After I looked at  the cast album to review " Merrily We Roll Along" , I decided I wanted to see it and I have continued to listen to the show and add my favorite tracks to my playlists. There was a song that I skimmed over as I was wrapped up in other tracks about dreams and such. But recently I was listening to some of the tracks that I didn't listen to as much as others , then I listened to " Franklin Shepard Inc." a few more times and grew a new appreciation for it.

" Merrily We Roll Along" begins with an ending of a story and works backwards to see how the characters reached that moment, as things move backwards the tone goes from dramatic to more inspiring, this song is earlier in the show as Charley and Frank hit the point where they break off their friendship. 

Not only is this song catchy but there is so much depth to it. Since the show gives you the friendship at the end, it still has the impact as if you had watch the friendship grow before hitting that breaking point, even if that part does come later.  

The lyrics entail so much about friendship and what can be thrown away in pursuit of your dream. It deals with real situations like growing apart and selling out, all while providing an upbeat tune and lyrics you can sing along to, the contrast is fascination g yet it works so well.  Even as the song slows down near the end, you feel that Charley has very valid points, and with the song " Growing Up" you see Frank's side earlier on as well as a turning point. 

This song has emotion in it too as you feel Charley is not only in a place he does not want to be, but he is making a plea for a friendship he misses. my favorite part isn't even a lyric, it's a spoken line 

Charley: Listen, Frank does the money thing very well. But you know what?  Other people do it better, and Frank does the music thing very well. And you know what? No one does it better. 

The mention in the line speaks it all, the added bonus is the great song surrounding that, I'm glad I went back to it. Until next time, I hope your day is a showstopper. 



No comments:

Post a Comment