Thursday, May 24, 2018

Judging A Show By Its Cast Album: Beautiful The Carole King Musical





Welcome to another edition of Judging A Book By It's Album Cover, where I decide if I want to see a show live based on reading the plot synopsis as well as listening to a cast recording, the show I am looking into today is the jukebox hit " Beautiful The Carole King Musical". I have never listened to Carole King's music, will this show sell me or will I be taking this locomotion elsewhere.

The plot follows the life and career of the musician Carole King, as well as her relationships and music. The plot is simple, but by reading the plot synopsis there are a few twists and turns, someone who has been a fan of Carole King will know what happens but I was surprised.

The music is great, It definitely makes me want to look up her music, I definitely liked the second half more then the first, but there were some songs I found myself listening to multiple times, I will say I liked it more as I went along. There is one minor complaint, after doing some research, this show cut some songs short, and it left me wondering if maybe they could of used less songs and then used the full versions of these very good songs. But those two notes are my only complaints, these songs may be short, but they are still good. short but sweet. There is a good mix of slow and fast songs, songs to reflect and songs that make you want to boogie.  If you are curious to add some of these to your next playlist or to look into for yourself, here are some of my favorite songs from the show.

Will You Love Me ( 2nd Version)

Up On The Roof

On Broadway 

The Locomotion

You've Lost That Lovin

One Fine Day

Walking In The Rain

Uptown

It's Too Late

You've Got A Friend

Beautiful

I Feel The Earth Move

As I listened more and more, I thoroughly enjoyed this soundtrack, I want to read and learn more about Carole King, and I want to see this on stage to see how the songs are incorporated with the story, when I listen to soundtracks first, it's always a treat to see how it plays out on stage. This is a very different musical, and now I am more open to the idea of more jukebox musicals based on musicians and showcasing their work at the same time. Until next time, I hope your day is a showstopper.


Sources 

Wikipedia , Beautiful The Carole King Musical ( Synopsis/Photo)

The Original Broadway Cast Recording 


No comments:

Post a Comment