Monday, June 14, 2021

Legally Blonde The Musical: A Show That Always Makes Me Feel So Much Better


 (Image Source: Amazon.com)

I LOVE this show, this is probably in my top three when it comes to my favorite musicals. No some may write it off as yet another adaptation of a film put on stage to cash in in a sea of them, and this show has not been on stage in a while, but it is covered by schools and civic theaters across the country, has had international runs, a very well made proshot, and an album. This show has lived on long since it has closed, running in the early 2000's, I also believe this show is due for a comeback, but why has this movie musical held up and is still being put on to this day? With the proshot, and the album I am able to cover this show even though I have not seen it live, I will hopefully find the answers.

This show follows Elle Woods, who upon being dumped follows her ex to Harvard Law school, meeting a wonderful most of the time, and sometimes dated cast of characters along the way as pursues her love but also just find find a whole new Elle along the way. Before I dive in, I will acknowledge there are some elements in this show that need to be updated that reflect the time it was written, some jokes, references but most importantly some jokes in poor taste and stereotypes that do not hold up. There are parts of the show that I believe would need to be fixed if it were to come back but besides that the morale, a ton of jokes, and the message still shine through.

'The music is fantastic, besides the dated content there is not a weak track in this album. The messages of finding yourself, being yourself, and pressing on are elaborated so well with the songs. Each character comes to life with each number, showing not only their personality, and dreams, but also character development. These songs have humor, charm, and heart in them all while being incredibly catchy. This is an amazing soundtrack.

The live version of this show that was aired on MTV is worth at least one watch, not only to see how the songs fit in but it is a great version, good camera work, amazing performances, and awesome choreography, this is a well made show. This show deserves a couple of changes and to come back because at it's core this show is amazing, it is mostly hilarious and it has so much heart in it. I am not one for romance in shows but this show has two romances both that keep me invested and that I am rooting for. Also no other show has a sexy UPS man and no I am not giving context for that. The show is perfectly paced, has amazing songs and is one of a kind. This one should not be looked over if you need something to inspire you, this show is very uplifting while making you laugh most of the time. I have listened to and watched the proshot for years, and will for years become, there is so much good that I can over the flaws, and want it to be brought back so the flaws can be addressed. This show has amazing leads, hear, humor, and charm, in its show and its music, this one should not be missed.

Rating: A Chip On My Shoulder/ Not Throwing Away Its Shot (Has a few very fixable flaws, if fixed this show is perfect, great humor, heart, catchy songs, great characters, an engaging story, some dated content and stereotypes hold it back from being perfect, the near prefect show)



No comments:

Post a Comment