Sunday, April 22, 2018

Shows I've Seen Review: Annie

Many of us know of little orphan Annie, and many of us have heard the song " Tomorrow" in one form or fashion. Well after seeing it on a Broadway national tour in 2015 and seeing a civic theater production last holiday season. So after seeing it twice ( once before this blog was even an idea), and after listening to the soundtrack countless times, looking at the many times this show has been revived as well as made into several film adaptations I  figured I would look at this classic. And for this review besides my two viewings I will be going off of the 2012 Broadway cast recording

Annie follows the likable Annie, an orphan as well as a group of her fellow orphans under the control of the mean Miss Hannigan, when Annie gets taken in by the kind Oliver Warbucks she goes on all sort of adventures, especially in search of her parents. The story is very simple, with very few surprises, but all the characters are likable and there are many jokes and fun moments. This show is a very good show for kids and could be a good introduction to theater, points just mentioned.

The music is very well made, the songs are very catchy and you'll find some of your favorites, the use of jazz fits the NYC setting well, and the jazz changes to fit the characters like fun and light for Annie, but slower for the drab and constantly tired/ Hungover Miss Hannigan. Here are my favorite songs

Maybe

Hard Knock Life

Tomorrow and Tomorrow ( Reprise) 

I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here

N.Y.C

Your'e Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile

Something Was Missing

Anything But You

Getting a New Deal for Christmas

So if a tour is coming by, a friend is in a school or theater production, maybe check this classic out, as Classic Musical Month has only one month left, I have  a few more surprises left. Until then I hope your day is a showstopper

No comments:

Post a Comment