Monday, April 23, 2018

Shows I've Seen Reviews: Taming Of The Shrew

When I was talking about Shakespeare the other day, thinking of the last show the bard penned that I saw, It was a college production of " Taming Of The Shrew" and why not review it as the end of the month celebrates Shakespeare.


The plot begins with a  drunk man stopping at a local Inn and being told he is a lord and is distracted with  the story of  Katherina the " Shrew" who frightens any male suitor, while more men want to marry her younger sister Bianca, their father wants the elder to wed first, meanwhile Hortensio and Gremio try to win over the younger sister with many schemes to win her over, including disguises  as the adventurous Petruchio takes on the task of trying to win over the older sister. 

The best thing about Shakespeare shows is that there is no direct setting, so you can have s how set in the old west or even during modern day. The production I saw was performed with costumes and sets that are straight from the time period , which were still nice and well made.

This show is funny, there are many puns, surprises and all keeping with the fact that the entire show is a show itself being put on, giving the idea that some parts or lines are being added on the spot. This comedy is very well written, and makes me want to look into more Shakespeare comedies as I am more familiar with the tragedies.

If you can see a production of this show or read the book, I recommend it, I had plenty of fun. Until next time I hope your day is a showstopper


Sources: Wikipedia , for a quick refresher, mostly the names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment