Monday, April 2, 2018

Review:The Music Man , Starring Robert Preston

back in 2013 I discovered my first classic musicals. I was introduced to was Meredith Wilson;s comedy known as " The Music Man" I have seen a high school production of this show but as I review the show I decided the revisit the production that introduced me to this classic, as well as what it is most known for, and I was so pleasantly surprised that it became one of my favorite musicals.

Music Man follows professional con man Professor Harold Hill as he arrives to the fictional town of river city Iowa, there he finds the  humble town, a new pool hall, and Marian the Librarian, the only towns member truly smart and aware enough to see through Harold's plan to sell the town instruments and uniforms but then leave before teaching a single music lesson with the money for said equipment . The comedy is well executed with great one liners, with well timed set ups. All the characters are likable but Harold and Marian steal the show

The songs are amazing from the beginning, when it starts with " Rock Island  " the shows songs always fit the mood being conveyed at the moment so well, with such energy in the showstopping " Seventy Six Trombones"  or calm moments in " Goodnight my Someone" , this classic is fun and has a ton of heart.  Here are my favorite songs

Rock Island
You Got Trouble 
Goodnight My Someone
Seventy Six Trombones ( My Favorite Song)
Pick a Little Talk a Little / Goodnight Ladies
Marian the Librarian ( 2nd Favorite Song)
It's You
Finale 

The film made, with much of the Broadway cast in it including Robert Prestron reprising his role as Harold Hill is a very faithful adaption and one worth checking out along with the Broadway or film soundtrack, though the two have slight differences,I prefer the original Broadway soundtrack. If you want a fun, timeless comedy, well there's no better place to look for trouble then right here in River City, Till next time I hope your day is a showstopper  

No comments:

Post a Comment