Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Judging A Show By Its Cast Album: Freaky Friday The Musical

                                                 Image Source: Disneyplus.com 
Finally, after months of procrastination, I have gotten around to listening to and am ready to review the cast album for " Freaky Friday The Musical". The first " Judging A Show By Its Cast Album" of the new year and after two months, I am ready to review some more cast albums and see if I would see the show or not. This is a show I originally planned to review last year, as well as the filmed adaptation on Disney Channel, but alas I was distracted and decided to take some time for self-reflection and refocusing as last year ended. With a new perspective, I plan to review cast albums that I have been putting off, as well as new ones I discover this year, from current shows or from years past, beginning with this one, with a review with the live adaptation sometime in the future.

This Album will be an interesting review because after the Disney adaptation aired, licensing rights for the show went live for schools and other theater companies large and small can take a crack at this show if they choose to. So keep an eye out for civic theater or school productions, if you choose to check out the album you just may want to see it.

I have some memories of the movie from 2003, but with one look at pages for both on Wikipedia, there are multiple differences in them both. Fans of the film will be surprised and may be baffled by the changes made, I for one wasn't the most attached to the film, there were other live-action Disney films from that era I was more attached to.

The plot revolves around a mother and her daughter on the eve of the mother's second marriage learning to walk a mile in each other's shoes literally as they switch bodies, and learning to appreciate each other along the way as wacky shenanigans ensue.

This album was hit and miss for me, There were some songs that I really enjoyed, but others that I was fine listening to once and then was done. A decision I found odd was that there were songs dedicated to some characters that I felt could have benefited others. For example, the soon to be step dad to our lead may have needed another song or two to expand on his character it also could have added an outsider perspective, there is also this focus on a scavenger hunt that was not in the original movie that takes away for a character moment or two. Some songs I will say add comedy, some have good emotional moments very well on top of being catchy, but I didn't find myself getting hooked on every song. But as I always recommend, listing to the cast album and you may enjoy songs that I didn't. Here are the ones that I found myself enjoying.

Just One Day (L) 

I Got This

Busted

Just One Day ( Reprise)

No More Fear

Today and Ev'ry Day

This was not my favorite musical, but it could be a good first musical, maybe even for middle schoolers, there are some jokes that only adults will understand, but the lack of language and heavy themes could be perfect for a younger audience. Judging by the album the story is light and full of comedic and sometimes touching moments about family, there is even the live version which I have seen on DVD, if you want to see the album played out. And those were my thoughts, it felt good to review a cast album again. As stated earlier I hope to review more in the future, some from last year, some form this year, some I have been putting off, and some I have yet to discover from years passed. Until then I hope your day is a showstopper


Sources

Wikipedia
. Freky Friday ( 2033 Film)
, Freaky Friday ( The Musical)
. Orginal Cast Album, Freaky Friday The Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment