Thursday, January 3, 2019

Some Extended Thoughts On Disney Musicals

With the debut and the release of rights to " Freaky Friday" last year, I wondered if Disney will release any other musicals based on animated or live action movie whether it is a musical, to begin with, or not.  I wonder if we will see a revival of " Mary Poppins"  with the success and acclaim of "Mary Poppins Returns" So I figured I would discuss this idea and then some shows that I think we may see for one reason or another.

At the moment Disney is having a very successful Broadway run with it's adaptations of " Newsies" even more so with the filmed version hitting movie theahters twice before going to netflix and digtal stores. " Aladdin"  " The Little Mermaid", " Beauty And The Beast"  " Lion King" and now " Frozen" all proved that animated features could make a transition to the stage adding new songs or story elements to give the show a longer run time yet also retaining why everyone loved the originals. " Mary Poppins " had a good run as well on stage, but I was interested when " Freaky Friday"  did not go to a New York stage, but instead was playing in select cities, had a version taped for Disney channel, and released the performance rights all in the same year despite glowing reviews. I wonder if Disney will adapt and give smaller shows the same treatment as " Freaky Friday" saving larger scale productions fro the great white way.  Disney is also a unique factor to Broadway because they are able to have multiple shows running at once.

So with my summary out of the way, what stories do I think will get an adaptation? Here are a few as well as my thoughts on why they would be as well as the scale of the production. This is all just blind guessing, but why not, it's fun to guess sometimes.

Mulan: I feel like this would have enough nostalgic value, plus benefits with a longer running time to flesh out characters and add a couple more songs to make an unforgettable stage experience. The choreography would also be top notch, and yes there are some large-scale effects that could prove to be challenging but with the right team, I feel like this would fit right in with other animated adaptations.

Parent Trap: Yes I have mentioned this idea multiple times, but I really feel like it would work and be a cute family show. I would at least be interested to see the songs, what was changed, and what was kept the same. I could maybe see this going the same route as " Freaky Friday"

Tangled: This is one that I am very surprised has not been announced or tried yet, there would need to quite a few more songs added since the original only clocked in with eight songs and three of them being a reprise, there would be a lot more needed to fill out a three-hour show, but I feel the sets would be amazing and the movie is quite beloved so I am sure many people would love to see it on stage.

Alice In Wonderland: This story has been adapted multiple times and is quite beloved, why not the musical route... also the sets would be insane

So those are my thoughts, I am sure this will not be the last time I discuss Disney I love the company, bbut until next time I hope your day is a showstopper

No comments:

Post a Comment