Monday, May 3, 2021

Broadway To Reopen Soon?! And Theater The Rest Of Us Can Get Now

 Word in the arts based news is that Broadway is set to reopen the end of this summer or very early fall, and if it does, great but I still wonder as we get closer to the expected day if it will be pushed or if theater will finally return. And if it does what does that mean? What shows will come back? When will we get the Tony Awards that keeps being announced and then delayed?

The questions keep piling up, and even if it does return most of the big musicals slated to tour to my area have already pushed to the next year, since I saw Hamilton on tour of February 2020, my second time seeing Hamilton this seems to be the first year I will not see a touring Broadway cast show. But the arts are still accessible, thus why I changed this blog, because even back when I could see a touring cast there was a large gap in-between shows or seasons where I was left just with tapings, cast albums, movies, live shows, and local theater among things. So the future of Broadway is still uncertain, and for those who do not live close, we have to get creative. So here are a couple ideas I have seen that apply to those who want the amazing experience of theater right now.


Outdoor Shows: Some civic theaters are following precautions and are doing outdoor shows, I myself may be attending one or two this year.

Recorded Civic Theater Shows- Other local theaters have been recording their shows safety and placing them online for a small fee, giving us new show in creative ways and safety for the cast and the audience.

YouTube- Ever since last year certain major Broadway  theaters will upload a recording of  show over the weekend, yes that is a limited amount of time, but I guess that emulates the touring show experience. You could watch an old favorite or discover something new, a lot of theater companies have been doing this for some time now, and I hope they begin to recycle a couple shows that were good and some may have missed. 

Live Shows On Streaming Services- Some of the streaming services have some live recorded theater as well, or Broadway HD and a couple other services that are just dedicated to theater. One main example is Disney Plus having both Newsies and Hamilton.

Movie Adaptations- Some are better then others, but the ones that are good make for some good entertainment, and the not so good could also make for some good entertainment.

Those are a few options that I found that give me my theater fix, alongside listening to cast albums. But we will stay strong, and when this intermission is over, theater will return in a big way!




No comments:

Post a Comment